Friday 30 April 2010

Canadian Films I recall

I just read a review of "Gunless" - a just released Canadian film starring Calgary-born actor Paul Gross - which supposedly follows a plot line of an American Gunfighter who must adapt to Canadian "peace, order and good government" but "gunless" society.   It sounds pretty funny to me - even though it falls remarkably close to the Liberal Party's support of the Gun Registry that is currently being debated in Parliament.

Anyways, it got me thinking of all those long lost Canadian films of my past (mostly funded by the NFB):

Neighbours - 1952 animated, among 1st post-war film that showcased new techniques by Norman McLaren.
Paddle to the Sea - 1966 a wonderful boys fantasy of a carved toy that floats it's way to the ocean
The Voyageurs - 1964 recreation of the traditional voyageurs. Inspired a Centennial effort.
Fortune in Men's Eyes - 1971 tagline "What goes on in prison is a crime" homosexual drama.
Mon Oncle Antoine - 1971 Quebecois Filmaker Claude Jutra homage to the old Quebec
Le Roi de Coeur - 1966 charming piece with Geneviève Bujold and Alan Bates (aka "King of Hearts")
Who has seen the Wind - 1977, Adaptation of WO Mitchell's famous reflections about the prairies.
Paperback Hero - 1973, odd drama involves hockey and the country
Goin' Down the Road - 1970 Quite forgettable.  Canadian "Cinema Verite"
Bon Cop, Bad Cop - 2006 One of my all time fav's - Two Solitudes of Cop genre, hilarious!
Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee - 2007 TV movie - Lame story, breathtaking Canadian scenery/actors.

Finally, this - could be me as I remember Expo 67.

No comments:

Fox News Ticker

Apture