Friday 23 October 2009

WWI - Battle of the Somme

In May, I got this message via www.ancestry.com (I have entered family genealogy file so all members can search.)
Hello, I have been doing some research into my own family tree and whilst talking to my grandparents, the subject of my grandfathers name came up-he was called Cedwyn Owen Williams and the story goes that he was named after your relative. My Cedwyns father was called John Williams and he served with your Cedwyn in the Battle of the Somme of WW1. Your Cedwyn pulled my great grandfather back to the trenches when he had been injured in no mans land and hence he lived on to have two sons-one of which was my grandfather. Sadly from research, it appears that your Cedwyn died on 1st July 1916 but I just thought you would like to know of the extreme bravery of your relative without which I may well not be here! My grandfather was named after him as a mark of respect and gratitude from my great grandfather. Regards, Heather Williams
Cedwyn was Tudwal's (my grandfather) youngest brother, and he died in July 1916 during the Battle of the Somme, which is the largest and bloodiest battles ever fought taking lives of 1.5 million men. It epitomized the grinding campaign of attrition that WWI became know for and many battalions - like the Royal Newfoundlander Regiment - lost 91% of it's 801 men in one advance into German machine guns. The Somme Offensive lasted until November 18 1916.

Cedwyn is memorialized by an entry into the Commonwealth War Graves Commission monument at Thiepval FRANCE. It is likely that he died during one of the many additional attacks that were taken during that 4½ month campaign.

No comments:

Fox News Ticker

Apture