Friday 8 July 2011

Special Mapping

Sometimes "I interrupt regularly scheduled (political/economic) programming" to crow about some remarkable software application or service I have found. This is one of those cases.

Google Maps/Earth are remarkable services/products that are mostly free. Indeed I find it immensely fascination how they can be used - and am always interested in learning how I might do that.

Last winter I came across a simple online-tool that would convert SHP data-files  into KML data-sets which can be simply imported into Google Maps/Earth to richly identify a geographic feature (ie designate/ highlight an area/altitude/characteristic/data/marker etc).  I used it to convert the NEW Alberta Provincial Boundary's into something immediately useful. (see image)  I thought I had discovered something useful but no one said a word!  i was frustrated that I couldn't get the comparable data for the old CA Boundary's - but then someone sent me that data last week.  So, if/when I have time I may attempt to integrate with the new ones and determine a way to "map" members.

Anyways, due to this interest I keep track of things. And so then by accident I tripped over this fellow's blog (who is from Victoria BC of all places) who seems to have a flourishing geodata software/programming business, among other things.  I particularly admire his work with JEQL - and how it can be used so easily in processing CSV data.

These 2 blogs of note:  Here and here.

No comments:

Fox News Ticker

Apture