Wednesday 7 October 2009

Ephemera and the web

On Oct 26, 2009 - Yahoo's Geocities free website service will shutdown. Slaw.ca had a post about how ephemeral and questionable information on the web has been in the past, but morns the loss of that early idealistic period. I just think of the $3.5 bn that it cost Yahoo to buy the service got vaporized over 10 years.

But alot of people took to using this free useful service, and for many it was an entry in the internet. I dare say that it led to the popularity of web-search services like Google as I remember the frustration in trying to find anything useful with Yahoo's search as impossible.

I myself think that this "ephemeral" nature of the web is one of the biggest opportunities. How can we keep track of this exploding information birth and and death? I have found that The Wayback Machine has been one of the most useful services out there. It scours the web archiving well known and traveled sites before the disappear. Sometimes they will be the only place you can find that old web-page you forgot to keep years ago.

However it is this "disappearance of data" that has led me to archive the old ECMAS.org website before it is disconnected. For those who are interested, you can find the 2001 data here (others in process). Here is list of Articles (2001) It is too bad that quite a bit is missing but I am hopeful that others will be able to fill in the blanks as they become aware of this minor project to recover the information.
Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

No comments:

Fox News Ticker

Apture