Tuesday 4 August 2009

Backup Madness

Ok, I do this alot. But with all the o/s upgrades and reinstalls I now have a mass of DC's and DVD's from previous efforts. Having used Backup software in the past (like the recently deposed Microsoft OneCare) I am now finding it a pain that I must reinstall the backup program to Restore! So I am looking for a new app that can "migrate" with me a little easier.

In the meantime I have decided to just use WinZip v12.1 - it can compress files as it Archives and I just write the password on the CD/DVD and store in a secure location. That is the simplest way for now. (plus I have been using WinZip forever so I don't have to keep learning it! Although I find I have to upgrade occasionally.)

However, in my "search" one program I really liked was Gmail BACKUP. I am running it now. It is true that one of the things that has bothered me about Gmail is I may never be able to leave the service as it holds EVERYTHING (and is becoming MORE ubiquitous) so this is a real find!

[here is MakeUseOf's summary]

No comments:

Fox News Ticker

Apture