Wednesday 3 June 2009

PDF software

I subscribe to www.MakeUseOf.com blog because it is a daily chatter-box of interesting software ideas. The topic of PDF is one I always have time for as they are so useful. The regular "free" Adobe PDF Reader which started the whole phenonomena off so long ago has become too bloated for my use, plus there have been a few scares recently about its security.

Here are the PDF readers highlighted in this post:

1) Foxit PDF Reader - ok
2) PDF X-change Viewer - ? (appears to have features that allow annotations)
3) Cool PDF Reader - only 1 mb! - how cool is that?
4) Perfect PDF Reader - ? (not recommended in review)
5) Sumatra PDF Reader - very good!

Another one they have highlighted before (but not for some worrying reason today) is Sumatra PDF Reader. I use it and apart from a few weaknesses, it is quite lightweight and small.

Another aspect is a PDF print driver
. These are less important now that OpenOffice and Google Documents print to PDF files directly, except I often find myself printing website material from the browser and it is handy to have a PDF as reference. Here is www.MakeUseof.com recent comments about such desktop options (Windows only).

1) doPDF (I use this now)
2) PDF995 (I used to use it, but it was too persnickity to install, plus even though I bought it, they were constantly requesting upgrade fees for very little additional functionality, so I dropped it.)

I will update with addons as they appear.

crj

No comments:

Fox News Ticker

Apture