Friday 7 November 2008

Stretching: The Truth

As an aging fitness enthusiast, how could this not catch my attention.

Somewhat shocking to find that all those old exercises were based on old-wives tales (at least that is what the article makes one think of). But for me it does have a ring of truth based on personal experience. As I runner for much of life I have always stretched before and after my runs. This rarely helped alleviate the tightness that developed in my legs as I prepared for a race. However that changed when I took up Taekwondo which involved alot of ancient calisthenic routine (well maybe not that ancient as Taekwondo is a modern amalgam of many oriental martial arts disciplines.) This form of cross-training was a wonderful attidote.

This article illustrates many of the exercises that I found useful in taekwondo.

For those who are most prone for ACL injury a major study published earlier this year by the Centers for Disease Control, found that knee injuries were cut nearly in half among female collegiate soccer players who followed a warm-up program that included both dynamic warm-up exercises and static stretching (http://www.aclprevent.com/pepprogram.htm).

No comments:

Fox News Ticker

Apture